Newala is one of the five administrative districts of Mtwara Region of Tanzania. Newala district draws its name from the Makonde word “niwaala” which literally means “welcome”. It was the German administrators who coined the name Newala (from the original word “niwaala”) while in search of water for construction of the old ‘boma’ in the early 19th Century, when they entered a well/ water area where people were washing themselves. By the time they were ready they indicated “niawaala”. You are welcome. Others indicate that the name Newala derives from “new well” (to get water).
Newala District is one of the old colonial districts established in 1954 by the British Government under the Local Government Ordinance 1953 Cap. 333. After independence the Tanzanian Government adopted the colonial districts including Newala. As was the case with other local authorities in the country, between1961–1972 Newala district council failed to perform to the expected standards due to lack of qualified manpower, limited funds and lack or limited management skills. District councils were abolished in 1972 and replaced by ‘Madaraka Mikoani’ for a period of ten years between 1972– 1982. Newala district council was reinstated in 1982 under the Act of Parliament No. 7 of 1982.